My Journey to Social Work, Jack Register, LCSW, LCAS
NASW-NC would like to introduce you to the 2013-2014 NASW-NC Board of Directors.
Each of our amazing board members chose the profession of social work for a reason and we would like to share their stories with you. Stay tuned for a post about each of the social workers who represent YOU on the NASW-NC Board.
Jack Register, LCSW, LCAS
What led you to choosing social work as your profession?
- I wanted to save my family from Severe Mental Illness
- I learned that I could not save anyone but myself
- I learned how to engage and be present to others’ experiences
- I “became” a systems social worker when I began policy/advocacy work
- I could see the threads linking the implementation of policy to the community and then to the lives of people
- I embraced the definition of justice as put forth by Jane Addams – Communal responsibility, rooted in critical feminist theory and inquiry, foundation of beneficence
- Now, as a scholar-practitioner, I can be the change, research the change, teach the change to others, and politicize change.
Jack is Assistant Professor and BSW Program Director at the University of North Carolina Greensboro Department of Social Work.
Learn more about the NASW-NC Board of Directors and what NASW-NC does for the social work profession in North Carolina